Industrial & Capital Goods Consulting
Most industrial and capital goods manufacturing consulting firms will tell you that the best products in the market will win and guide you in that direction. Sure, there’s no arguing that great product performance is an absolute. But that’s just the first step toward success. Can you consistently outperform your competition in speed to market (velocity), provide great customer service, best product performance with consistent world-class product quality? Are you constantly looking to innovate? How well are you executing your annual and strategic plans? Each of the aforementioned require great functional processes and the ability to consistently execute them to perfection.
In all businesses, especially those that are industrial and capital goods manufacturers, the ability to execute is what separates great businesses who achieve sector best results from those that are average performers at best.
At 15 Consulting, I do things differently. My execution-focused services are built around assessing your company’s opportunities for meaningful improvement and defining an executable plan that quantifies the impact on your financial statements.
Because I am willing to assist or lead the execution of the recommendations I make for improvement to the business, I provide the CEO/Owner of the business with a level of comfort knowing that I am invested in their success.
By doing so, I help owners of industrial and capital goods manufacturing firms achieve meaningful top and bottom line results and an excellent return on their investment in 15 Consulting.
Business Analysis and Turnaround
Who this is for: Businesses that are under-performing, stagnant, or in trouble.
What we help with: I’ll complete an initial function-by-function, detailed review of processes as well as people to identify problem areas and provide recommendations for improvement in each area with quantified top and bottom line impact. From there I’ll be available to augment and support the execution process to ensure results are delivered.
Typical business impact: The business is out of trouble. Profitability improves from < 0% to 5% EBITA/Sales. A continued plan for success is in place.
Profit Optimization and Growth Planning
Who this is for: Owners who have an objective in place to increase profitability and/or grow revenues but aren’t sure what next steps to take or are having difficulty executing.
What I help with: I’ll analyze your departmental processes for opportunities to reduce costs and increase efficiency, investigate your overall market for opportunities to gain share, review your innovation process for new product development, and understand the strengths and weaknesses of your distribution channels. From there I’ll map out a pathway to increased profits and growth, as well as help bring those results to fruition.
Typical business impact: The business improves from 5% to 10-15% EBITA/Sales. A plan for sustainable revenue growth is in place. The Owner/CEO feels confident in the plan and can prioritize time and resources accordingly.
Who this is for: Owners/CEOs and executive teams who need assistance developing and facilitating an effective strategic plan that positions the business for future success.
What I help with: This is an area of expertise. We can assist in market sizing, competitor analysis, self assessment, and all components required to develop a great strategic plan. I’ll help you take what usually ends up being an annual exercise that produces a plan thrown in a drawer with no results to speak of and turn it into a valuable tool that becomes the foundation of your business and the roadmap to future growth. I’ll facilitate this process for your company as well as providing the templates that need to be completed.
Typical business impact: An excellent strategic plan ends up functioning as the measuring stick for the ambitions of the leadership of the company. When executed, it will deliver and, many times, exceed the expectations of the organization.
Who this is for: Owners in the process of acquiring or selling a business or conducting a partnership buyout and need guidance and assistance from start to finish.
What I help with: I can assist with accurate valuation and financial due diligence, as well as operational due diligence to uncover potential issues that are lurking underneath the surface that could negatively impact the ROI of the transaction or investment when discovered after the fact. I also help with post-acquisition integration: discovering and executing on the identified synergies that will yield ROI that meets or exceeds initial projections.
Typical business impact: The buyer feels good about the acquisition process and is able to generate a meaningful ROI on the purchase and integrate the new business into existing operations.
TOPIC SPECIFIC CONSULTING
In addition to the primary services 15 Consulting offers industrial and capital goods manufacturers, below is a listing of additional services that we can provide directly and through partnerships.
- Sales channel optimization – Choosing the right sales channels for your business and the optimizing the performance of those channels are critical to driving growth. I can provide assistance and guidance in making these key decisions.
- Enhancing your Marketing Function – Many people think of Marketing as advertising and promotion. It should be far more than that if you want to derive the maximum benefit from the organization. Competitor analysis, new product development input, market size/market share, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), product pricing, and the quote through order entry process value stream are areas that your Marketing organization should be driving to position your firm optimally.
- Innovation – Constant innovation is something that I hold as a core competency of winning industrial manufacturers. There has to be a disciplined process in place to yield the right result in a timely manner. I can assist in directing that effort.
- Risk Management – Strangely enough, I find that a lot of industrial manufacturing firms do not have a risk management plan in place and don’t actively manage risk. Unpleasant surprises happen in business and it is always best to be prepared. I can lead the effort to put your plan in place.
- Supply Chain Management – A properly functioning Supply Chain Management team is one of the most important components of your business. After all, where is the majority of your industrial manufacturing company dollars spent? For this reason alone, the Supply Chain function should be operating most optimally and delivering real results that positively impact both the income statement and balance sheet. I can deliver these results by working with your Supply Chain team.
- Execution – This is another area I identify as a must have core competency for winners in the industrial manufacturing space. I have 15 years of senior level executive experience on successfully driving execution that I will share as well as tools for monitoring and measuring.
- HR & Labor Relations – I partner with an expert in this field who has 40 years’ experience in implementing proper HR practices as well as negotiating labor agreements.
- Finance, Accounting, Tax – I partner with another consultant in this field who has 35 years C suite experience in these areas. He and his team can assist in audit, tax, and implementation of financial and accounting best practice.
- Leadership Training – I partner with a professional leadership trainer who has been successfully doing this on her own for the past 25 years. I used her when I ran my businesses. She is outstanding at sorting out dysfunctional organizations and training leaders on how to work together for a common purpose.
- Website Development/Enhancement – I partner with a professional website development firm. This is their only business and they are very good at it.
If you need some very specific help in any of these areas, you can email me at
Think 15 Consulting could be a fit for your business?
If you’d like to explore whether there’s an opportunity to help your firm grow and increase profitability, let’s have a conversation and see where we go from there and determine if we’d be a fit.